Tuesday 31 January 2012

What Kind of Institution Might Distribute Your Media Product and Why?

There are many different distribution companies that I could use to distribute my magazine however not all would be suitable. I researched on the internet to try and find the one that fitted best. The Prezi we made previously really helped me with my research and my decision as well as the internet as a lot of the information I'd already found previously. I narrowed down the companies I would choose from to IPC, Conde Naste and Bauer.


IPC distributes Uncut magazine as well as NME, as well as TV Times and Look. IPC seem to distribute a variety of magazines. Considering the fact that NME would be one of my main competitors, it wouldn't make any sense for me to allow that company to distribute my magazine. Considering NME is already a popular selling magazine IPC will not want or need to distribute another indie/rock magazine. This is highlighted by how they also distribute the R'n'B magazine Uncut. 


Next I look at their rival company Bauer Media who have over an audience in the UK of over 19 million people. Bauer Media distributes the magazines Grazia, Empire and Take a Break, as well as 282 magazines worldwide in more than 10 countries. However they also distribute Q magazine which as a magazine is very diverse in what it produces, however a lot of it's content will be similar to what is featured inside my own magazine. Due to Q magazine it would be very difficult to expect Bauer Media to take on my magazine as well. Although I think even if I did choose them they wouldn't be the best option as the Q Magazine fan basis is so high it'd be hard for them to sway the public towards my magazine. 


I did consider looking at independent distributors but that is really uncommon within indie/rock magazines. Independent companies tend to focus more on Hiphop magazines like VIBE, therefore it would be unconventional for me to chose such a small company. 


This is why I've picked Conde Naste to distribute my magazine. This is because unlike IPC and Bauer Media they don't already distribute indie music magazines. However they do distribute other successful magazines such as Vogue, GQ and Easy Living. Therefore I know that they're reliable and will  be able to get as much public appeal towards my magazine as possible. 





No comments:

Post a Comment