Sunday 22 January 2012

How Does Your Media Product Represent Particular Social Groups

When creating my magazine I tried to consider what fashion style of my model, type of font and bands used would appeal most to the indie, urban and care free image of my target audience. I wanted the genre to be clear and easily noticeable upon first glance when looking at my magazine. This is why I chose the name "Amplified" as it has connotations of loud which related to the music and the sometimes outgoing fashion of my Target Audience. I was also consistent in my colour scheme of grey and red as the subtle tones are not only common in what target audience may wear but also suits the style of music. The affect of the drop shadow highlights how the genre isn't quite so mainstream and how its originality is underrated.

I made sure not to use bright colours like orange and pink as I didn't want to conform to the expectations or conventions of a pop magazine. I also made sure that my models facial expression displayed attitude as I didn't want her to have the 'happy go lucky' image of a pop star. On the front cover of my magazine my model is looking straight in to the camera with a pouting smile on her face. The way her image is the centre of attention and dominates the page displays the rebellious attitude expected from the audience. The angle of the shot is that it's looking down on her yet she is making eye-contact with the camera. This highlights how she is being perceived as the underdog yet she intends to defy expectations by flaunting her success.

My model is wearing a simple, fitted green dress which helps to highlight her confidence. I expect that this would relate to my target audience as they will be comfortable in how they dress no matter how 'out there' their outfits are. As my model is female I made sure I had a male model on my contents page to display what they'd wear. I used two different models highlighting either end of the style, one wearing a shirt and a flat cap again looking straight into the camera to display confidence. Whereas the other was dressed in white portraying a more innocent look yet highlighting his interest in music by wearing headphones. The use of the male models highlights how this magazine should appeal to both sexes whether its through fashion or attraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment