Sunday 19 February 2012

What have you learned about technologies from the process of construction of your product?

The main form of technology I used when creating my magazine was adobe photoshop. Adobe photoshop is a software that allows me to create professional and realistic product with a much better quality opposed to if I was using a software similar to paint. Adobe Photoshop is the best choice when it comes to making a magazine as it is used by real magazine companies globally.
The most useful skill and one I used most often is being able to accurately remove an image from its background. Once your image has been successfully cut out from its background you can start to edit it in detail by adjusting the brightness - this can help add intensity to the image. Something I liked changing of my images was it opacity, this then made it easier to put text over an image with it still being readable.
Another basic but very useful tool was using the guidelines and ruler as it helped to keep pages symmetrical and also made the format to conform to that of a magazine. I found using this tool particularly helpful on my double page spreads as it made putting the article into columns much easier. Once the page had been split when entering my text I used a text wrapping tool to make sure that everything stayed well inside the lines to help keep order on my page. On some my photos there was a slight shadow cast form the angle of the lighting therefore I needed to use the clones stamp tool to edit the skin tone. This involves taking on shade of skin from a area of the photo where the shadow didn't effect the image and blending it over the shadowed area of the image. I found this tool complicated to use and tried to avoid using images where this tool would be needed as it took a lot of patience to get the picture looking natural again.
When using photoshop as mentioned previously I had difficulties, therefore I had to find a means to which I could get over these problems, a great help was YouTube. This is because it gave me access to a wide range of videos teaching me in simple steps how to use the tool. Without You Tube I wouldn't of been able to pick up short cuts and other skills in order to complete my magazine.
A huge inspiration for me was looking over other magazine websites online and seeing how they broadcasted their products to the public. I found that they indulged in the word of mouth developed on social networking sites which encouraged me to create an advertisement for an ap for my own magazine.
By publishing my work on to a blog I found that it was easier for me to upload research and other pieces of work on to my blog. A really useful website to convert and publish my work was scribd this is because it allows you to embed your powerpoint presentation or word document straight on to the blog without editing it or changing the quality. It also makes it easy to view. Another handy online software is prezi, similar to powerpoint only allows you to structure your presentation with more interaction. It develops your presentation and allows links and images to again be embedded straight of the internet which doesn't effect its quality as is possible when sometimes put on to a word document or powerpoint presentation.
Another useful small piece of hardware was the webcam attached to my laptop as it permitted to display my progress in small videos as well as allowing me to broadcast my proposal in a more direct way.

No comments:

Post a Comment